After much procrastination, I finally decided to get started on my blockheads for the NZ illustrations. I couldn’t decide what materials to use, but accquired some foam block which got me started.

I painted a block and then drew straight on with my design.

I also tried a subtle indentation, but don’t think it’s strong enough.

After that I tried a deeper approach, but the block is not suited to carving.

So then I got some MDF and cobbled together a rough block onto which I drew various faces. This was a little more fruitful, as I started to enjoy the drawing of the faces.

Also thinking that the face idea maybe needs to be expanded to a full figure to make the rugby connection more explicit.